Quickstep Dance Lessons
The Quickstep from our professional dance instructor.Our members: Quickstep winners of the Pro/Am Dance Competition.
Dancing is a real-life art which is usually born under influence of a certain piece of music. A recently-created musical style, as a distinguished unit of life creations, is always interrelated with “life drama”. In the world of dancing to express these “down-to-its-soul” feelings one has to learn how to do that creatively. Hence, among the vast diversity of Ballroom, Latin-American and Social Dances, the Standard ones express the soul-related issues in the most elegant way ever. There is ONE, an unbelievably enjoyable dance that has been conquering the world for almost a century now. It is Quickstep, the dance where elegancy is mixed with the energetic vibes.
Surprisingly all, the so called, “new” dances are usually reborn, thanks to already existing, pretty successful dance styles. Quickstep is one of such dances. Dancers throughout the whole world are lucky to be able to dance it due to some unexpected confusion, taken place while enjoying Foxtrot to a musical rhythm with absolutely different tempo. Peaceful and quite disciplined Foxtrot, like an outburst, launched a new wave of light-heartedness, displayed in the dance steps of Quickstep. That’s why back then all the dancers were unofficially divided into Foxtrot admirers and Quickstep followers, giving a chance to enjoy this or that dance depending on the mood!
A wild dance of African and Caribbean performers had to undergo lots of modifications, from both: social and cultural, and musical sides, right before being standardized into an internationally acknowledged dance, such as Quickstep, subsequently included officially into Ballroom and Latin-American (competitive) dance programs. This dance, unlike the others, carries an incredible energy of either a tender age or mature greatness, depending on who exactly is hitting the dance floor, providing spectators and performers with the feeling of happiness and joy.
Quickstep is full of “dance” peculiarities to be expressed on the spacious ballroom floor. Few people know that due to its numerous dance combinations it is secretly called “a small grammar book” of all the standard dances! The whole dance is like a terrific combination of incompatible elements at first sight. Jumps, kicks, turns, body bendings, altogether look pretty charming, especially to the sounds of music, which make everyone, both the audience and dancers, feel like almost soaring right across the dance floor.
A well-developed sense of pitch is quite a benefit to mastering this lively dance. However, a sparkling drive and infinite sense of freedom, breaking right out of the personality, that is what truly sets Quickstep apart from the rest tremendous dances. A cheerful and dynamic dance shows a great work of legs and feet of the dancers. The pair slides through a roomy ballroom floor, “decorating” it with the swinging jumps on the go. It creates an illusion that they, hardly touching the ground, constantly move around.
In Quickstep there is no place for romantic sentiments as in English Waltz or an inevitable clash of two strong personalities as in Tango. However, despite that it still remains an absolutely favourite and preferred dance. An incredible dance pattern of rising, steady and falling movements alongside one of its kind musical style with some Jazz tunes will always engage people. Fast paced as the time per se, Quickstep, as a dance of youth, energizes with unquenchable energy and inspiration, quite essential to enjoy all the life benefits!
Choose desired course level:
Beginner Quickstep Course
Beginner Quickstep course is designed for:
- Absolute beginners who have never danced before or who consider themselves to have 2 left feet.
- For people who have taken Quickstep classes in the past and who are not sure or have forgotten their fundamental steps.
- For people who want to practice their basic steps.
You will learn:
- Explore the posture and basic moves and figures Forward Locks, Quarter Turns, Progressive Chasse, Natural Turn.
- Learn the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learn how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- How to connect with your partner.
- How to Lead (men).
- How to Follow (women).
Intermediate Quickstep Course
Beginner Quickstep course must be completed. Approval from instructors required to start the Intermediate Quickstep Course.
You will learn:
- New combinations every session.
- Improving the posture and movements to be able to dance in partnership and in proper Quickstep frame.
- Advanced moves and figures, Turns with Hesitation, Pivot and Spin Turns, Chasse Reverse Turns, Closed Impetus, Cross Chasse.
- Learning the correct technique of how to follow a partner’s lead during a combination of freestyle steps.
- Learning how to develop the ability to transform simple basic steps in articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Basic, Intermediate patterns and combining those patterns.
- More connection and leading & following exercises.
- How to understand music, counts, syncopations and accents.
Advanced Quickstep Course
Ongoing Quickstep classes with more challenging patterns, spicy moves & figures. This class is for those who are at the Intermediate/advance level (Approval from instructors required). Quickstep has many patterns, combinations, variations. We recommend taking 3 to 4 intermediate Quickstep courses before taking Advanced Quickstep Course. If you missed the first class, it’s not too late to join us for the second class!
You will learn:
- Learn how to transform simple basic steps into articulated sequences with rich decoration and embellishment.
- Learn advanced Quickstep moves and figures such as Fishtail, V6, Closed Telemark, Cross Swivel, Rumba Cross, Hover Corte with separate embellishments for ladies and men.
- Learn more articulated figures of Quickstep with and without a partner.
- Improve your ability to dance Quickstep sequences with faster timing and/or with more styling.
- Learn how to combine all the figures studied during the course into a unique and fluid routine.
Common options for all courses:
- All courses are available as group and/or private lessons.
- You may choose male or female teacher, as you prefer.
- Certificate of Achievement is available, read more.
- We have dance lessons for kids, mixed lessons (children and parents) are available.
- We can modify the courses to better suit your needs.
Available lesson formats:
Individual Dance Lessons
Nervous about dancing in public? Private lessons take the edge off and allow you to really let loose and see what you’re made of!
Private dance lessons are the quickest, most effective way to improve your dancing. We personalize each lesson based on your individual needs, desires, and goals, adjusting our teaching style to your ability, personality, and expectations. You’ll discover the difference some one-on-one attention can make in your dancing! This ensures the most thorough and rapid learning process, all while keeping it fun, easy, and comfortable.
Benifits of private dance lessons:
- Personalized attention and custom lesson guide
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Fastest way to learn and progress
Private lessons are designed to focus on your own dancing needs. This is where you will be able to learn technic, especially how to use our feet, understand timing, and develop body awareness, the more challenging aspects of your learning and in the same time enjoy the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere of our studio, have fun, and enjoy the feeling of dancing.
Group Dance Lessons
Focus on having fun and we’ll take care of the rest! Group classes learning is one of the most exciting ways to learn how to dance. Classes focus on lead and follow skills and how to put dance patterns together in a way that makes sense.
Benifits of group dance lessons:
- Helps growth in the social ability of your dance skills
- Broad experience growth: dancing with multiple partners at all levels and get introduced to patterns at a fast pace
- Meet students of all skill levels and practice dancing with them
- Provides an environment for students to share their experiences, giving newer students advice on how to get the most out of their dance training experience.
- Another blessing from learning with others in a group is developing relationships with those you can now practice what you learned with
Group classes are designed to teach you the school figures and to develop your sense of balance. For the majority of the class the ladies are on one side of the room and gentlemen on the other. We learn the figures and solidify them with a considerable amount of repetition. Because the majority of the time we are dancing on our own, our balance, which is so important is being developed.
We cater for all aims and goals, for great fun, for those who are looking for the health benefits of dancing, for those looking to be the center of the dance floor or to challenge themselves, or perhaps just to spend time with their partner (couples lessons) dancing is one of the best activities in the WORLD!
We are waiting for you on our group dance lessons:
“Practice Sessions” means that all students are welcome and encouraged to come.
While the format of a practice session is much like a typical social ballroom dance, the purpose is different. You can come to just enjoy dancing. You do not need to have a particular move or routine that you are practicing. It is a great opportunity to dance on the biggest dance floor. The instructors will take care for a dancing environment of the session, including providing appropriate music carefully chosen for the correct tempo for each type of dance and for the characteristics that make each dance unique. Instructors hosting the practice session are often pleased to make suggestions when asked.
Benifits of practice sessions:
- Practice sessions offer an opportunity to practice steps or routines on Dance For You Studio spacious floating floor
- Every week our ballroom is available for our students to use for practice sessions
- The ballroom is equipped with a state of the art sound system and provides the perfect environment to focus on and enjoy improving your dancing
- Excellent opportunity to practice what you’ve been learning on your private lessons as well as the Group Lessons
Practice sessions are designed to prepare you for dancing in the real world. At these sessions many of the students attend. This creates the need to develop our traffic skills and maneuverability. You will have the opportunity to dance with a variety of partners. Everyone feels different and our job is to prepare you to dance with anyone. You will also practice to the music the entire practice session.
Look forward to see you on our practice session:
Visit our photo gallery to see more photos from weekly dance practice events.